Google adwords and facebook advertising provide numerous opportunities for businesses to promote their goods and services. But which is better and why should you invest in one over the other?
On face value, Google adwords and FB advertising offer the same benefits, that is:
- Cost per click: Through Facebook advertising and Google adwords, businesses only pay for the advertisements that are clicked on. This means that businesses can set a daily limit and they will not pay for anything that exceeds this daily budget.
- Analysis of data regarding impressions, click through rates and campaign success: Both Facebook advertising and Google adwords provide thorough analysis regarding the following:
- Impressions: The number of times the ad ran.
- Click through rate: The number of times the ad was clicked on – this is usually expressed as a percentage. A higher a click through rate, the better, because it demonstrates that the advert and keywords chosen is right for the target audience.
- Campaign success: An analysis of the success of the campaign, providing an overview for recommendations/improvements. However, Google adwords provides better linkages with Google analytics regarding conversion data.
- Segmentation of target audience: Both provide some form of segmentation. However, as Facebook is focused on social media, Facebook does have a higher level of segmentation possibilities than Google, including the ability to segment the target audience based on interests (known as ‘likes’ on Facebook) and hobbies.
Now the main reason why we would choose one over the another would be based on the following:
- The action you want from the target audience.
- The type of product/services you are selling.
- The urgency as to how quickly you want to sell it.
Google adwords is great for products that require information searching from the consumer – as this is what Google is for, to allow consumers to find what they are looking for. On the other side, Facebook is used for social purposes and is therefore better suited for impulsive purchases, where an organisation wants the customer to quickly interact with the product/service.
Facebook is also better suited for products/services that are fun, socially interactive and not serious or pessimistic. As facebook is a social medium used for fun/relaxation advertising products/services that fall outside this domain would be unwise. Google adwords on the other hand can be used to advertise products/services of various natures from funeral services through to clothing.
As Google adwords is used for information searching, click through may not result in a purchase straight away. Facebook on the other hand is a fast moving medium, therefore customers who click on the advert are generally interested in undertaking quick purchases.
Like with everything there is always exceptions to the comments discussed above, but the general rule is as follows:
- Products/services that are of a more serious nature and therefore require information searching is better suited to Google adwords.
- Products/services that are impulsive, fun and quick to purchase are better suited to facebook advertising.
Until next time,
Cents and Sensibility
Julia Taine, Executive Director of Vent2Me, is a marketing problem solver and mentor. A mover and a shaker, Julia sees a niche in an industry, and takes it, by making it her own. Julia started Vent2Me, because people she knew were struggling with their online presence and their digital strategies. Julia knew she could help these people, and so here she is today.