As a pesky millennial myself, I had no idea what the hell the (#) pound key was, this was until I had a very long (technology related) conversation with my mother regarding their use. This convo inevitably resulted in her teaching me what the pound key was. While the hashtag –or pound- symbol may have been around for some time now, the principle as know it today, wasn’t used until Twitter introduced it to the World Wide Web in August 2007.
Essentially the hashtag is a hyperlink, it may be a label indicating a connection or a metadata tag that is used on blogs and social networks. Hashtags give the user the flexibility to allow messages, posts and blogs with a desired theme to be grouped together and made easily accessible for anyone to view. For example, this post will use the hashtags #smallbusiness #socialmedia #blog #vent2me #hashtag.
Why I love using #hashtags
Hashtags are so easy to use. They provide countless possibilities for individuals and brands alike to create unique, engaging and more transparent posts. Essentially allowing the end user (you, me, you and you) to form an open-ended group discussion.
- Hashtags are used in real time to engage and unite topics and conversation amongst users:
- Popular hashtags: #TBT (ThrowBack Thursday, used to repost a motivational image from the past), #roomspiration (inspiring interior design)
- Disasters/Emergency hashtags: #PeaceForParis, #SydneyFlood, #NepalEarthquake #FloodRelief
- Events hashtags: #QandA, #SBSEurovision (One of my personal favourites), #Movember, #NYE #HBD
- General interest hashtags: #CarSpottersOfMelbourne #Vegan4life
- Branding hashtags: #Vent2Me, #DigitalMarketingSuperhero #ForgetTheNormBeUnforgettable (or could also utilize #4getthenorm)
Do you use #hashtags in your marketing? If not, why not? They are a free little marketing tool that can help you grow your business online. We dare you try a few out and see the possibilities that open up as a result of that little hashtag.
Until next time,
Author: Louis Buchler
I’m an eager and motivated individual who not only enjoys all day breakfast menus, but I also have a passion for digital marketing, social media engagement, advertising and design (Yes, I also enjoy pîna colada’s and getting caught in the rain).