To see the importance of (WOM), take this simple test:
Think about the last three businesses/services you used. How did you find these? Were they recommended to you or did you just pick them out of a hat? Most likely you sourced these businesses through recommendations from friends or family, social media or by searching online.
- 85% of fans of brands on Facebook recommend brands to others.
- 43% of consumers are more likely to buy a new product when learning about it on social media.
- 77% of consumers are more likely to buy a new product when learning about it from friends or family.
Bad reviews can have a drastic effect on the success of your business. Unfortunately, no matter how good your business is, a customer will at one time or another be dissatisfied with their purchase. The key here is to have a strategy in place prior to this occurring to ensure that you know how to appease the situation.
In addition to the service recovery strategy, you should search for your business online and through social media regularly to see if any negative or positive reviews exist. You may not realise this, but listings on Yellow Pages, White Pages, Google Maps, and True Local now have customer reviews embedded in their listings. This means that accessing review information about a business has never been easier!
To search social media for your business. Follow the steps below:
Search for Tweets containing a keyword or hashtag:
- Enter your search query into the search box at the top of the page.
- Toggle between viewing people and tweets results by clicking the menu on the left side of your page.
- When viewing Tweets, choose to view top or all results by clicking the options at the top of your search results timeline. (You can also choose to see results about a given topic from only the accounts you follow by selecting people you follow.)
Search for Tweets mentioning a user:
- Enter the user’s username, preceded by the @ symbol, into the search box at the top of the page.
- Tweets results display Tweets mentioning the username; people results display accounts matching that username. Toggle between the two on the left side of the page.
Slightly more difficult than twitter, due to privacy settings but still possible to do.
To search public posts in facebook:
- Click on this link https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?type=eposts&q=YOURQUERYHERE and replace your search term where it says ‘YOUR QUERY HERE’
How does your business fare with customer reviews? If they are positive show appreciation for the review! If they are negative, respond to them. Customers are more likely to give a business a shot if they see the business responding to complaints.
Until next time,
Cents and Sensibility
Julia Taine, Executive Director of Vent2Me, is a marketing problem solver and mentor. A mover and a shaker, Julia sees a niche in an industry, and takes it, by making it her own. Julia started Vent2Me, because people she knew were struggling with their online presence and their digital strategies. Julia knew she could help these people, and so here she is today.